Anemia is a condition in which the level of hemoglobin in the blood is below the expected level. Hemoglobin is an important part of our red blood cell which binds oxygen. If the hemoglobin level is low in blood, then our body cells will not get sufficient oxygen. In the United States, many people suffer from this condition.
Actually hemoglobin contains the mineral named “iron” which is very important in the following cases
- Development of brain
- Maintain the temperature of the body
- For activities of all muscles
- For oxygen transport
- Regular functioning of the immune system
Main causes of anemia
- Deficiency of iron in diet (in case of pregnancy, mensuration, injuries, and bleeding piles body require more iron)
- Deficiency of folic acid in the diet
- Chronic disease like cancers, infections
- Worm infestations
Symptoms of anemia
- Easy fatigue-ability
- Breathlessness on exhaling
- Increase heart rate
- Loss of appetite
- Lower body resistance
- Eating of chalk or ice cubes(mainly in children)
Prevention of anemia
- Consuming foods rich in iron like rice, wheat, fish, dried fruits, nuts etc.
- Consuming vitamin ‘C’ rich foods like butter milk, idles, amla, guava, lemon, papaya etc.
- Consuming foods rich in folic acid like meat, egg, milk, fruits, green leafy vegetables etc
- Don’t take beverages like coffee, tea etc